Friday, December 8, 2023

Depending on God’s Will

THIS morning, I commented on a post by a member of Subud India in the Facebook Group “Subud Around the World” with a story about my experience of finding Subud, starting with my meeting with Mas Adji (Istiadji Wirjohudojo), the step-grandson of Subud’s founder, Muhammad Subuh, as follows:

“I ended up in Subud without ever looking for it, let alone wanting to know and want to receive the Latihan. The owner of the advertising agency where I worked as a freelance copywriter one day took me to the Surabaya, East Java, Subud house, where I was introduced to Mas Adji who was coming to visit. I later found out that the owner of the advertising agency was a helper. He told Mas Adji that I wanted to know about Subud, but I thought to myself, ‘I don’t want to know. I’m not interested in spirituality.’

Anyway, I just listened to Mas Adji’s explanation (he even invited me to enter the Latihan hall and listen to him recite some verses of Susila Budhi Dharma). Three days later, I underwent the three-month waiting period, which I took eagerly because I felt this was what I needed, even though I had no idea what the Latihan was and how my life would be like once I was opened.

Talking about doing the Latihan in a place that could potentially be attended by non-Subud people, it is God’s will whether they will be opened or not. My wife and I often do Latihan in the living room of our house, where there are also relatives who are not in Subud. After all, they are not (yet) interested in Subud.

My point is people come to or not come to Subud not because of the efforts or influence of other people, although it can be through other people—depending on God’s will.”

This afternoon, I found a link to two photos of Mas Adji, also in the same Facebook Group.©2023

 

Pondok Cabe, South Tangerang, December 8, 2023

No comments: