Wednesday, March 1, 2023

Explaining Subud to a Six-Year Old

I am most inspired by a quote from Albert Einstein that if you can’t explain something to a six year old, then you don’t understand it yourself.

The quote becomes a guide for branding practitioners, especially copywriters like me. And it came in handy when my six year old daughter asked me, what is Subud and the Latihan?

“I have difficulty in many things that I do. I can do it if there is guidance from within me. And to keep the guidance active, I do the Latihan Kejiwaan of Subud. Subud is a sort of club where people like me hang out,” I told her.

She asked then, “Can I join the club?”

“You can’t, until you’re old enough according to the club’s criteria.”

“Why are only adults allowed to join Subud?” she asked again.

“Because only adults have a lot of problems. Children have no problems, except for the ones their parents made for them. Aha, I just remembered Bapak Subuh’s talk that with the Latihan we adults will return to being children. So, while you are still a child, just enjoy your life,” I said.

My daughter continued watching her favorite cartoon on Youtube. And I sighed of relief as she didn’t ask me the hard questions.©2023

 

Pondok Cabe, Tangerang Selatan, 2 March 2023

No comments: